St. Andrew's Primary School

  • SearchSearch
  • Translate Translate
Ventrus MAT

SEND Information Report

Definition of Special Educational Needs and Disability


The Code of Practice (2014) states that a child or young person has a special educational need or disability if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools

What is the Local Authority Local Offer?

The Children and Families Bill will become enacted in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish, and keep under review, information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’. The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area. The support provided by Devon Local Authority for children with SEN and disabilities can be found at: Teachers and the SENDCo can direct parents to other organisations and services that can provide additional support for SEND.

What is the SEND Information Report?

The SEND Information Report uses the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of pupils with SEND as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

What kinds of special educational needs might the children at St. Andrew's Primary School have?


Special educational needs and provision can be considered as falling under four broad areas:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, emotional and mental health (previously behavioural, social and emotional difficulties)
  • Sensory and/or physical

Communication and interaction

Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times of their lives.

Children and young people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, are likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication, social interaction and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others.

Cognition and learning

Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability or sensory impairment.

Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.

Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression, self-harming, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder.

Sensory and/or physical needs

Some children and young people require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the educational facilities generally provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning. Children and young people with an MSI have a combination of vision and hearing difficulties, which makes it even more difficult for them to access the curriculum or study programme than for those with a single sensory impairment.

Some children and young people with a physical disability (PD) require additional ongoing support and equipment to access all the opportunities available to their peers.

Who are the best people to talk to in St. Andrew’s Primary School about my child’s difficulties with learning/ special educational need or disability (SEND)?

The Class Teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) alongside the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo).
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and sharing and reviewing these with parents in a 10 week cycle.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
  • Overseeing support that Teaching Assistants provide for your child
  • Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child's learning. 

The Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo): Mat Boult ( is available every day.

Responsible for

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.

The Head Teacher: Leanne Arrowsmith


Responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head Teacher must make sure that the Local Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor: Ursula Pool

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for all children with SEND who attend the school.
  • The review of the Inclusion and Equality policy.

School contact telephone number:  01884 32206

School email address:


How are children with Special Educational Needs identified and assessed?

At St. Andrew's Primary School, children are identified as having SEND through a variety of ways, including the following:

  • Liaison with the previous educational setting
  • Tracking information – is the child performing below age expected levels?
  • School based assessments carried out initially by the class teacher
  • Further school based assessments carried out by the SENDCo where concerns raised e.g. Junior Language Link or Sandwell assessment
  • Concerns raised by parents
  • Concern raised by school staff
  • Concern raised by pupil
  • Liaison with external agencies
  • Health diagnosis

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

a) Class teacher input, through targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching/Universal Provision)

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Intervention programmes which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room/ area.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Health services such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists or physiotherapists.
  • Sensory support services such hearing or visual impairment specialist teachers.
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service.

 What could happen:

  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help you and the school to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • If appropriate, the specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school, which may include any agency that is listed above.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or other linked professional) will begin multi-agency meetings.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child. Other resources may be secured through the funding but this is a collaborative decision involving education or health care professionals and yourself.
  • If your child’s needs may be best met in a special school provision, we may need to apply for an Education Health Care Plan (EHC), which will be considered by a panel of experts at Local Authority (LA) level and if approved will secure objectives and placement for your child in a legal document.

How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially. If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the SENDCo. The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s progress in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Discuss an Individual Education Plan (IEP).
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.
  • Begin a SEND meeting or Early Help Process

How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a SEND register in conjunction with a resource based provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in our school?

School provision

  • Teaching Assistants working with either individual children or small groups
  • The SENDCo works with groups/individuals on occasion
  • Teaching Assistants offering support for children with emotional and social development through our Pastoral Provision
  • ICT support
  • Volunteers and parent helpers work with small groups to support reading
  • PIPs (Positive Hold) techniques employed where appropriate to maintain the safety of pupils and staff

Outside Agency Provision delivered in school

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory support for children with visual or hearing needs
  • DIAS
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Access to Parent Support Adviser to support families 
  • Communication and Interaction Team
  • ASC Outreach Team

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)
  • Paediatricians 

How are teachers in the school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do members of staff have?

The SENDCo’s role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Specific Learning Difficulties, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.
  • The SENDCo  has worked in a SENDCo role for over 8 years.
  • Teaching Assistants receive a range of training as part of their ongoing CPD and to respond to the needs of the individual children they are working with. Many members of staff have basic training in Autistic Spectrum Conditions or Specific Learning Difficulties, which is a common area of SEND in our school. Other training includes phonics and reading, emotional/mental health, PIPS training, Occupational Therapy, Comic Strip Conversation etc.
  • All staff members are trained specifically in de-escalation strategies and positive handling techniques where appropriate.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class teachers plan lessons and differentiate their planning according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class (including using P Scales for children working below National Curriculum Level 1) and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning (including that for P Scales and for specific intervention programmes) and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress will be reviewed formally with members of the senior leadership team every term in reading, writing and maths, through pupil progress meetings.
  • If your child is in Year 1or above and working below National Curriculum Level 1, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used called P Scales, which shows children’s attainment in more detail – breaking learning down into smaller steps.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Where necessary, children will have an IEP based on targets agreed by teachers, parents, the SENDCo and/ or external agencies which are specific to their needs. Targets will be designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by members of the senior leadership team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.
  • For all children with an Education, Health and Care Plan, an annual review will take place with all adults and relevant professionals involved with the child to review the needs and current level of support they are receiving.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • IEPs will be reviewed with your involvement on a 10 week cycle.
  • A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • The Devon Information Advice and Support (DIAS) Service is available to give further impartial advice and support should you need it. Their website address is:

How is St. Andrew’s Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school is fully compliant with Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) requirements.
  • The school has easy access and double doors where appropriate. We have temporary ramps for wheelchair access when necessary.
  • There is access to a disabled toilet, a shower area and changing facilities.
  • We ensure wherever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
  • A Pastoral Room (The Nest) is provided for children who need a space and Thrive-trained adults to support their emotional needs.

How will we support your child when they are joining the school, leaving the school or moving to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENDCo will visit pre-schools with the class teacher or Nursery/Reception Unit Leader when appropriate and attend annual reviews for pre-school children.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them with information about their current placement and their new school.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for sessions as appropriate.
  • Parents will be invited to attend a visit.
  • You may be given an opportunity for additional visits where appropriate to help to prepare your child for their move to the school.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school’s SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IEPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • There is an opportunity for children to spend at least half a day in their new class in the Summer Term.
  • Your child may participate in a transition group or be able to visit the new class more frequently where appropriate, to prepare them for the move.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo and class teacher will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s secondary school. Where appropriate, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and struggling to communicate effectively.

  • All classes work on mental, social and emotional aspects of learning and development through different activities.
  • Individual / small group pastoral sessions.
  • Meet and Greet availability. 
  • Social skills groups to develop emotional language and literacy, and the skills needed to initiate friendships and interact socially with their peers. This includes ‘Thrive’ work.
  • Social and emotional intervention groups linked to outdoor learning.
  • A range of extra-curricular groups which all children are invited to join.
  • Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups.
  • 1:1 lunchtime and playtime support for children to develop skills in play and social interaction.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENDCo will access further support.

Complaints Procedure 

Pupils, staff and parents are expected to listen carefully and respectfully to each other. Where an issue arises, parents should, in the first instance, make an appointment to speak with their child’s class teacher and seek to resolve any concerns. If a parent believes that their concern has not been resolved to their satisfaction or is of a more serious or sensitive nature, an appointment should be made to see the Headteacher, who will investigate and report back on the results of the investigation. Where an issue is not satisfactorily resolved, parents should then take up the matter with the Chair of Governors. A copy of the school’s Complaints Procedure is available on request from the school.

SEND Information Report download

Download a copy of the SEND Information Report here.


Ventrus MAT

Ventrus (formerly The Primary Academies Trust) was set up in 2011 by a group of like minded headteachers who wanted to build a stable and secure platform from which they could grow a network of excellent schools.

Visit Site